This was the site of the Leicester to Swannington Railway which partially opened in 1832 and reached Swannington in 1833. The track crossed Spring Lane and reached the engine house at the top of the Incline, this brought the coal from pits in Swannington, Coleorton and Peggs Green up the steep slope.
In 1850 the Snibston Colliery opened their third mine at this site next to the railway line. The mine closed in 1880, reopened in 1892 and finally closed in 1895.
The site of Snibston No. 3 Mine and the Leicester &Swannington railway is maintained by the Trust's volunteers.
Looking at the site from Spring Lane, the cottages on the left were miners’ cottages when the mine was open.
The Trust acquired the site in 1984. With the assistance from a Manpower Services Training scheme, the Snibston Colliery site was cleared, landscaped and planted with 300 trees and shrubs to provide a car park for visiting parties and an amenity area for villagers.
Our volunteers maintain the Snibston No 3 site by mowing the grass, controlling the weeds, trimming the hedges and pruning trees to admit light.